Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I Forgot To Explain.....


I posted that I had worked out WHY I am am so tired and grumpy lately!  I forgot to explain that, and it was a gentle query from Bethel (of Bethania), that reminded me!

To the right, you see Buster-cat.  Buster is an elderly girl - about 16 or so by my memory - and she is arthritic, deaf and demented.  And she utterly forgets to bring that tongue in, but that is irrelevant.

The "arthritic and deaf" anyone can cope with, but the dementia is really difficult.

My husband was away in NZ visiting the family, and while he was away, she decided that rather than wanting to come in or go out 16 times per night, that it was LOVELY to sleep on my bed, snuggled in and warm.  That worried me not at all, but when the husband returned, he objected strongly to having the old snoring creature (HUH??  snoring??  the cat??) between us.  So then Buster cat wisely moved herself to the un-husband side of the bed, and snuggled up sooooo warm and cosy, to my chest, that I could not (can not) move in my sleep for fear of waking her and setting off another yowling festival that keeps the entire neighbourhood awake!

It may sound as if I am flippant about the situation, but I am not.  Buster has been part of our lives for a long time. I cannot imagine the pain that families with older relatives go through with this problem.

Buster variously decides that other positions are the OUT door.  Sometimes it is the ensuite bathroom door - once it was the oven.  She goes out, then stands indignantly with an expression that clearly says "WHY???? am I out here?" and immediately sets forth with the "I WANT IN" - and it matters not a jot which side of the door she is - she wants the other one!

(NO I did not let her in to the oven!)

On the other hand, the local currawongs have NO kidney problems!! I know this, because they eat the food that she leaves, on the front deck.  (I started feeding her out there a couple of years ago.  The kitchen had been gutted prior to rebuilding, and she simply had no idea which way  was "UP".  It seemed unnecessary to further confuse her....)   As she had a total renal failure about 5 years ago, and has since gloried in the expensive Hills Science Diet KD, I know that what she leaves, is the renal salvation of all the local currawongs.

Unfortunately currawongs also have their left-overs.  Some of it is very difficult to scrub off your deck furniture.....

So that is the answer to the tired-and-grumpy issue!

Nothing at all to do with the sad lack of sales at the Exhibition last weekend.  I sold not a single baby blanket - but the shawl will be the next payment, on my next workshop - the Judy Wilkenfeld weekend in Melbourne in November!  Yay I am ahead!!

I so enjoy reading comments that you leave - please continue to do so!

cheers





4 comments:

claire said...

Oh mum...I am so sorry she's driving you nuts...

Julie H said...

Oh Ruth I think the problems would be solved if the husband slept in the spare room for as long as you have the prescious cat (tongue firmly in cheek here). Seriously I do understand and bless you for loving this one as she ages.

Can you e-mail on julieh7777 at yahoo dot com about the balnkets.

Cheers

Bethel of Bethania said...

Ohh isn't it so sad when our beloved pet get so old ... we had a toy poddle that ended with dementia, deafness & blindness as well which was all OK but we shifted here & that totally confused her but she coped well we thought but after a couple of months in this house she got so bad with the dementia when she was put out for walkies that she would keep walking in a circle until the circle was so tight she of course just fell over - it was just too heart wrenching to see & leave like that ... she had been to loving & loyal a pet - my baby ...
I bet I know where you are this w/e ... playing in Melbourne at the Paperfics ... I so enjoyed it when I went a few years ago & I hope that one day to get cheap flights like I got that time to do it all again... OOroo ... Bethel

Anonymous said...

Ruth, I read this post after reading your most recent and find myself chuckling out loud at you and Buster and your very funny dementia antics. I am hoping that you will enjoy retelling her funny stories soon. The OVEN??? my cat hasn't tried that one yet!
You are very funny - i am going to add your blog to my favourites list and make sure that I check in regularly!