Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Requisant in Pace - Buster-Cat

Dear old Buster-cat has crossed the bridge - she is now chasing mousies in Heaven (she never caught one on earth, but maybe it is different up there - but if so where is mouse-Heaven?  Maybe she won't catch one there either, the joy is in the chase so they say).

The time came - I had always said, since she got Dementia a couple of years ago, that when the bad days out-numbered the good, that we would help her over.  In the last couple of months she had failed terribly, totally deaf, painful movement, little appetite, and such mental confusion.  She had  come to the conclusion that she needed to come indoors to pee - and for a cat who had such sweet manners, that was so alien.  

So on Monday, with heavy hearts, we took her down for her final vet visit.  They all knew her medical history, so fortunately there was no last minute "are you sure this is necessary?" discussions.  Even Ben, the young and bouncy vet, was sad and quiet, and we all did what was necessary - I signed papers and paid accounts, and Ben did what he needed to do.

Even though I knew and still know, that it was the right thing to do for Buster, I felt terrible grief, when I was stroking her and her little heart  stopped beating.  So quickly - she had gotten  so small, her little face was tiny, and yet her lovely coat was still silky and thick, even though it was falling out under my loving stroking.

There is a kind of sad resignation ruling the house just now.  We all miss Buster - poor Kofee-dog is just realizing, she is clingy and worried about us both, bringing us toys and looking at us with love.

Funny how dogs are closer to us.  Cats OWN us - dogs love us.  Either way, they are a huge part of our families - when we lose one, our grief is just the same.

I have been recalling when we lost our old dog Storm.  When he passed I was so grief-stricken, he was such a lovely old boy - but I was comforted by the fact that I knew he would go straight over the bridge, and that he would find my dad, walking Duke (a neighbour's dog that he loved, and walked daily), and that Storm would fall into step with them, and all would be right , and as it should be.

We take comfort where we can.





4 comments:

claire said...

Thanks for doing the right thing at the right time, mum. I'm glad I saw my beautiful girl a few weeks ago.

Love you xxxx

Anonymous said...

Oh Ruth, I'm so sorry to read about your poor darling Buster-cat. I am owned by a bossy 17yr-old named Mia and I dread the day when we have to go down this road. I don't think of our house being home without her.

RIP Buster-cat and big hugs to you Ruth.

Anonymous said...

oh Ruth.... as I sit here typing I can hear my own ancient, dementia fuddled feline meowing from atop her palace (the clothes dryer on top of the freezer) calling me to feed her - despite the fact that I have already done so. Animal love is such an all-consuming love that is exhausting and energy sapping at the end. I wish you all much love right now. Saying anything else will not help. xoxo

Judy said...

Wishing you the happiest of New Years Ruth.
xo